In a bid to attract foreign tourists for the ‘49-day Kumbh Mela’, scheduled to be held in Allahabad in January 2019, the government has launched a ‘Chalo Kumbh Chalo’ campaign across the country.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha today, Union Minister of State (I/C) for Tourism KJ Alphons said the other measures include branding and marketing campaigns for Kumbh, 2019, advertisements at major international airports of the country to attract foreign tourists, development of a designated area for flag hoisting for 192 countries visiting Kumbh Mela, organising the ‘Pravasi Bharatiya Divas’, 2019, in Varanasi to attract ‘Pravasi Bharatiya Delegates’ to visit the Kumbh.
Plans are already afoot to put in place measures for the smooth running of the event. These include:
- Drawing out of a detailed ‘Movement and Parking Plan’ for a convenient approach to and from parking areas
- Identification and development of holding areas for crowd control during the mela period
- Deployment of digital signages in the mela area to guide visitors towards places of interest and dissemination of crucial information by the government and law enforcement agencies
- Deployment of dustbins for solid waste management
- Engagement of Ganga Praharis and Swacchagrahis for helping gather community participation and awareness towards conservation of River Ganga.
As reported by the Uttar Pradesh government following arrangements have been made for the pilgrims who are expected to visit the Kumbh Mela:
- Construction and widening of public roads
- Construction of parking spots at short distances from mela area
- Provision of shuttle buses for the convenience of pilgrims
- Digital signages at systematic points to ensure smooth flow of traffic
- Construction of toilets to maintain cleanliness and hygiene
- Setting up of LED lights in the mela area
- Erection of tents for the use of tourists
- Convention halls and pandals for serving as hub of cultural events
- Deployment of telecommunication services, banking services and water ATMs in the Mela area
- Setting up of integrated command and control centre including CCTV cameras for the security of tourists